Historic Tyler, Inc.
2013 HISTORIC TYLER TOUR OF HOMES
Saturday, March 23, 2013: 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, March 24, 2013: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m
Historic Tyler On Tour
Hosts and Sponsors
Neal and Stephanie Vasso
Don and Bonny Edmonds
The Marsh Family
Cathy Shipp & Associates Realty
Lucinda H. Kittrell, REALTOR®
Granite Girls - Cherrie Paro
Mary Endres and George Holland
Bruce and Mary Lauren Faulkner
Lee and Susan Gibson
Ray and Gayle Mapes
John and Ellen Musselman
LOCAL TICKET LOCATIONS
ADDITIONAL TICKET LOCATIONS
DURING THE TOUR
SWEET GOURMET: Gourmet Food & Gift Shop
4554 S Broadway Ave
Mon – Sat 10am – 6pm;
POTPOURRI HOUSE: Restaurant & Gift Store
3320 Troup Hwy Ste 300
Mon – Sat 10am -9pm
Chamber of Commerce
315 N Broadway Ave
We will have a tent set up at Bergfeld Park, during the Day Tours.
The park is centrally located off Broadway Ave. & College Ave., between 4th & 5th Streets
Saturday, March 23—10:00am -4:00pm
Sunday, March 24—1:00pm – 3:00pm
Tickets will also be available at any of the tour homes.
The Goforth House
805 S. Broadway
Rodney & Donna Goforth
VINTAGE VICTORIAN CARRIAGE
CANDLELIGHT PARTY HOSTS
Pat and Thomas Bender
Suzy and Jerry Boatner
Patrice and Mike Carmichael
Billie and Bill Hartley
Michele and Martin Heines
Katie and David Hudson
Mary and Michael Hooper
Tana and Francis Kay
Carol and David Kehl
Larry Lott Interiors
Donna and Mike Metke
Therese and Kelly Pace
Belinda and Steve Short
George Ann and Chris Reed
Ray Robinson and Kathy Hart
Tanna and Evan Stanley
Chelli and Don Warren
CANDLELIGHT PARTY SPONSORS
Shawn and Andy Bergfeld
Cathy and Hal Bertram
Kelley and Casey Brownlow
Amy and Richard Clay
Smith County Historical Society
Susan and Brad Emge
Mary Lauren and Bruce Faulkner
Verna and George Hall
Martha and Wesley Schmidt
The grand dame of Historic Tyler On Tour 2013 has been a prominent Tyler landmark since the late 1800's. At 805 South Broadway, only a few blocks south of downtown, its massive Doric columns and two-tiered porches dominate the neighboring architecture. In 1895 local businessman June P. Whitney and his wife, Daisy, bought this lot from developer John C. Robertson. The original home, built for the Whitney's by John I. Portis, was "to be a seven-room frame house with two halls, two galleries, four gables, and one pantry, brick chimneys, three fireplaces, brick piers and one balcony, according to agreed upon plans". The cost: $2500.
But the Whitney's encountered financial difficulties, and in 1900 sold the house to their next door neighbors, Henry B. and Sarah P. Marsh. Before moving back to his hometown of Tyler, Marsh had been in Austin serving as Assistant Attorney General under Texas Attorney General James S. Hogg. Back home he was in private practice with the firm of Marsh, McIllwaine and Fitzgerald and served as Tyler City Attorney. The Marshes enlarged their new home, moving it further back from the street to provide for the addition of the columns and porches which were major components of their renovation. This completed the Classical Greek Revival style which was said to remind Sarah of her childhood home in Alabama.
Henry and Sarah's family ultimately included a son, Bryan, and three daughters, Mittie, Lucy and Sarah. Both Mittie and Sarah became public school teachers, recalled as favorites by countless Tyler students. The sisters remained in this their childhood home for the rest of their lives. The last surviving sibling, Lucy, died in her 90's, marking nearly a century that this family had lived in this landmark home. For many Tylerites, this property will always be known as The Marsh House.
When in 1992 Clair and Jerolyn Carden purchased the home it still had its original light fixtures, the five unique tile-fronted fireplaces and heart of pine floors, along with an elevator, installed in 1963, that simplified reaching the basement as well as the upstairs bedrooms. The full basement included a massive coal fired furnace, and an artesian water well which ultimately would serve the front yard sprinkler system. A favorite potting table used by the Marshes was still in place.
The open beamed attic stretches the full width and length of the house with dormer windows and a large central skylight. All five fireplaces were originally to be served by one chimney that reaches up through the structure. The Cardens undertook a variety of renovation projects, attempting to keep their efforts true to the original Marsh expansion of the house. But, after a dozen years the property was once again put on the market.
At the time, current owners, Donna and Rodney Goforth were living in a new house on Lake Gladewater with no intentions of moving. But, in 2004 while visiting in Tyler they saw that this historic home was for sale.
"We're not impulsive people," explained Donna, "but when we saw this place we fell in love with it and bought it." Repairs to the columns and porches were placed first on their list of projects. Inside, the many glass transoms were scraped free of paint, the wood floors were refinished and the fireplaces were closed and fitted with more efficient vent-free gas logs. Carpeting was removed from the staircase steps to reveal the original wood.
The Goforth's 11 grandchildren have explored the coal chute, napped on the upstairs sleeping porches and scrambled up the front and back staircases, reminding this sometimes sleeping old house of the days when the four Marsh youngsters did the same.
The Derick House
1410 S. Chilton
Pete & Mary Dericks
1948 MG TC Roadster
Danny And Georgeann Allen
One of the most unique houses included in Historic Tyler On Tour 2013 is often referred to as the one with ‘higgledy-wiggledy’ or crazy brick. At 1410 S. Chilton Avenue, it is surrounded by traditional style homes. Bricked with distorted and twisted shapes laid in random patterns, the facade is show-stopping, freeform and sets this house apart. The brick is actually clinker (sometimes called klinker) and is derived from the sound made when banged together, being heavier than regular bricks.
Originally, kiln workers discarded any product such as these that had discolored or became distorted during firing. But in America in the 1920s, leaders of the Arts and Crafts design movement rediscovered its possibilities for creative and dramatic architectural detailing. Devotees of this style rebelled “against the takeover of soulless, machine-made uniformity”. The use of these unusual building blocks, sometimes combined with natural chunks of stone, became a signature of homes by Pasadena, California architects Greene and Greene.
In 1931 Tyler oilman Albert Pfaff and his wife, bought this lot from Carolina Bergfeld and chose W.R. Massey to build their unusual house. Architecturally, it is part Storybook with its irregular and twisted masonry, and part Country French with flush dormers, yet generally considered Tudor Revival.
To the left of the entry hallway is a concave, curved wall with a step-down to the living room. Across the ceiling original dark beams, with painted symbols reminiscent of traditional European folk art, dominate this intimate space. The natural stone fireplace surround reflects the irregular pattern of the home’s exterior clinker brick. A step up leads into the dining room which is lit by the original wrought iron Pfaff family chandelier. The Pfaffs sold this home in 1951 to local jeweler Morris C. Gordon and his wife, Dorothy B. “Bubby”, as Gordon was known to his friends, had moved from Florida in 1939, establishing Gordon’s Jewelers on the Square in downtown Tyler.
Current owners, Mary and Pete Dericks, in 2010 were planning to buy a home in Tyler and had decided that they wanted to live in the Azalea District. “Although we had already driven through much of the historic area, I asked Pete why didn’t we give it one more try. It was then that we saw this unusual house and I knew then that this was just the one I wanted,” explained Mary.
The downstairs bedroom has been converted to a den/office for the Dericks. Upstairs are two bedrooms and baths. The kitchen, which is downstairs, has been updated. Furnishings throughout the home are traditional combined with antiques. The Dericks enjoy the uniqueness of their Azalea District home, explaining that it is really easy to describe just which house is theirs!
The Tidwell Home
1903 S. Robertson Ave.
Michael & Anna Tidwell
1935 MG PA Roadster
Danny And Georgeann Allen
On a quiet street near downtown Tyler, a modest 1700 square foot homestead, over time, would grow to an almost 7,000 square foot house that includes not only a swimming pool and a telescope, but a family-sized bomb shelter as well.
The original home at 1903 S. Robertson was built by C. B. Scully in 1936 for newly married James and Dulse Lux Hudnall. Mr. Hudnall was already a well-known geologist in Texas when he moved to Tyler in the early 1930’s. Partnering with a close friend, he established Hudnall and Pirtle, Consulting Geologists.
As the family grew to include a son, Ogden, and a daughter, Lometa, the Hudnall's decided they needed more space. In 1949, the they began working with Tyler architect E. Davis Wilcox to design a major addition which would include four bedrooms, five bathrooms, a playroom and a sunroom. The Classical Revival entrance with its four sets of double columns were to remain in place. In addition, the Hudnall's wanted a full a basement to serve as a fallout shelter, complete with a full kitchen, bedrooms and game room.
The original living area has a wood and ivory marble fireplace. Beautiful restored oak floors lead into a large dining area and a kitchen which was updated in the Hudnall remodeling. The kitchen's 1950's Thermidor double ovens, vintage sink, faucets and Frigidaire stove continue to be used by current owners, Michael and Anna Tidwell. The bathrooms feature colorful tile and customized built-ins. Landscaping includes Muscadine grapevines that arch over the pathway into the spacious backyard which features numerous native Texas plants. A swimming pool was also added in 1950.
Why a fallout bomb shelter? Soon after WWII, the Cold War, a period of great international tension surfaced between the United States and Russia. President Harry Truman announced that the Soviet Union had detonated its first atomic bomb. The fear of a nuclear attack was very real as many sought ways to survive this possibility.
Building fallout shelters became a fast growing industry. Plans ranged from $500 to $5,000 to build. In comparison to the average, the Hudnall’s shelter includes very elaborate accommodations to not only protect the family, but also keep them comfortable for many months.
James Hudnall was an avid hobby astronomer who often watched the stars with his family and friends using a large telescope installed on a deck built over the garage. In 1963, Tyler Junior College built the Hudnall Planetarium, naming it after the Hudnalls who made major contributions to its development. This facility featured a 30-foot diameter dome for sky projections.
A member of the Hudnall family lived in the home until 1993 when the property was sold to Brian and Mary Burch. Dr. C. Jeffrey Pennell and his wife, Elizabeth, bought the house in 1999.
The Tidwell family purchased the house in 2009, appreciating the home’s interesting history, large airy rooms and spacious landscaped yard. Even today, the original spring well continues to provide water for the Tidwell home and pool.
The Ross House
2702 Old Bullard
Joel & Jeanette Ross
Roger Craig Designs
Sherry Garrett Designs
Hannah Taff Interiors
Gray’s Home Fashion Gallery
1959 MGA Twin Cab Convertible
Danny And Georgeann Allen
Old Bullard Road was always Old Bullard Road, even when it was new! In 1951, when 23 year old Raymond Edelman and his wife Shirley built their home at 2702 Old Bullard Road in 1952, the area was a hip suburb. Many Tylerites considered it 'out in the country'. This once very new design choice is now historic and will be a feature, March 23 and 24, of Historic Tyler On Tour 2013 when it is highlighted as the Designer Showcase Home.
The mid-century Ranch style was a Post-War American phenomenon, emphasizing a casual, indoor-outdoor lifestyle. Though the architect of the Edelman home is unidentified, it is influenced by the simplified, yet elegant style of California architect Cliff May, who in the late 1940's originated the Modern Ranch. Placed among trees at the end of a long, narrow drive, it is clad with a random pattern of stacked ledge stone. With its low hanging eaves, the house seems to fit comfortably within the natural setting. .
The entry door is set in a wall of glass and features an over-sized, backplate medallion with the signs of the zodiac and sun-faced doorknob, suggesting the unique design treasures in this home. Living and dining rooms share a double-sided tunnel fireplace. The den has a soaring, beamed ceiling with skylights and a wall of glass doors opening onto the sunroom with another stacked ledge stone fireplace. The roomy kitchen with windows across the east wall is a good example of the growing popularity in the 50's of this space as a gathering point for guests as well as family. Wrap around corner windows are signature features of several rooms.
After 14 years, the Edelman family had grown to include daughters Patti, Cindy, Debbie and son David when the house was sold to Tyler builder James W. (Chad) Hanna and his wife Jean, who lived here for the following 13 years. By 1978 this area was fully developed when the home was sold to oilman Burnace M. Smith and his wife Marjorie.
When in 2012, this home had reached its 60th year; it was classified as a historic property. Having been attracted to this unique design, Jeanette and Joel Ross decided to buy it. Almost immediately the Rosses were asked if they would agree to have the house included on the Historic Tyler On Tour 2013 as the Designer Showcase. With this, the Rosses and their designers would face a fast approaching deadline with a project that will surely be one of the most popular stops on this year's Historic Tyler, Inc. annual spring tour.
Overseeing the project with the Rosses are Brandy Jones, Interior Design, and Roger Gardner, Designer Coordinator. Other designers presenting featured rooms are Roger Craig Designs, Twine, Gray’s Home Fashion Gallery, Hannah Taff Interiors and Sherry Garrett Interiors.
Historic Tyler Inc. 815 S. Broadway, Tyler TX 75701